My name is Raylene Riddell and my son Elliott (3.5) was born with Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). Walking through life with special needs isn’t always an easy journey, but having the support of our family, friends & coworkers makes the journey that much easier.
If you haven’t met Elliott, here’s just a glimpse of who he is:
- Spent 17 days in the NICU after birth
- Has an awesome sense of humour and loves being silly
- Used an NG tube for 5 months to help with feeding
- Eats every type of vegetable – not many 3-year-olds can brag about that!
- Wears a torso brace to help straighten his spine
- Gives the most amazing hugs
- Works with a SLP, PT, OT & dietician
- Loves to read books, sing songs and watch Storybots, Paw Patrol & Backyardigans
- Visits the orthopedic, urology, respiratory, ENT, and endocrinology clinics at the ACH
- Has an amazing pediatrician who plays with him at every visit
- Has a cocktail of vitamins with his breakfast each morning
- Brings his stuffed animals to the table and gives them breakfast too
- Gets a nightly injection of growth hormone
- Loves to play doctor while dressed-up as Batman
- Has some expressive speech delays
- Knows all his shapes, colours, letters, numbers & is starting to spell!
- Has low tone which causes gross motor delays
- Loves playing at the playground
- Wears orthotics in his shoes to help straighten his ankles
- Has a little sister who keeps him on his toes
If you would like to meet Elliott, we’ll be participating the in the One Small Step walk on September 15, 2019 (more details can be found by clicking on Team TC Energy). Donations made to this page will help fund research initiatives aimed at alleviating the challenges of PWS – and even better, TC Energy will match up to $10,000!
Hope to see you there!